We have reached a point, where it’s impossible to imagine our lives without the internet. To access the internet, having a router is a must.
It’s extremely frustrating when your router fails to work. Imagine, you are in the middle of an important meeting or work, and your router loses connection. Many people will go into panic mode in such situations.
Your router may stop working for various reasons such as faulty cables, outdated firmware, server outage, and others. Luckily, there are solutions to fix this issue.
If your Netgear router is not working, you have come to the right place. In this post, we will tell you how to troubleshoot this issue by applying simple solutions. So make sure to read this post till the end.
Reasons Why Is My Netgear Router Not Working?
Why is the Netgear Nighthawk router not working? There can be various reasons preventing your router from working or connecting to the internet. Finding the right solution becomes much easier if you know the root cause of the problem.
Some of the main reasons your Netgear router not working are:
- The firmware of your router is outdated.
- The IP address is wrong or invalid.
- You are using the wrong password. It is also possible that someone has changed the password without your knowledge.
- The cable is loose or damaged.
- The power supply to your router is interrupted.
- The radios are disabled.
- You are using a faulty or broken device.
- Interference caused by electronic devices, and other physical objects.
- Hardware like antenna or capacitor is not working.
Any of these reasons can be the cause behind your Netgear router not working. Once you figure out the actual cause, you can apply the right solution to fix it.
Solutions To Fix Netgear Router Is Not Working
If you Google “Why my Netgear Nighthawk router is not working” you will probably see all the above-listed reasons in the search result. Thankfully, a few easy solutions can help you resolve the issue.
In this section, we will provide all the possible methods to solve the “Netgear router is not working” issue. Make sure to read the steps correctly.
Solution #1: Check For Loose Or Damaged Cables
One of the very common reasons behind “why is my Netgear router not working,” are loose or faulty cables. So before you try any other solution, you should confirm if the cables are fine.
One of the signs of poor or no connectivity is a red light on your router. In some cases, there will be no lights at all. Users of bundled services should consider checking the splitter as it is a potential source of the problem.
Follow the steps below to assess the condition of your cables:
- Verify that the power cable is connected to both your modem and router.
- Inspect the quality of the coaxial cable that links the modem and the wall outlet.
- Examine the Ethernet cable connecting the modem and the router.
- Monitor for any power fluctuations that may be affecting the devices.
- If any cables are damaged or loose, it is advisable to replace them with new ones.
If your Netgear router continues to experience issues even with undamaged cables, ensure that you have installed the latest firmware update.
Solution #2: Get The Latest Firmware Update
If your Netgear router is not working, check if you have installed the latest available firmware update.
Here are the instructions for updating your router’s firmware. For this method, we will use the Netgear app.
- Download and install the Netgear app on your phone from Google Playstore.
- Connect your phone to the WiFi network.
- Use your login credentials to sign in to the Netgear App.
- Access the Settings by tapping on the router image within the app.
- Scroll down till you see the option ‘Check for Updates’ and tap on it.
- You will information about the firmware on the screen.
- Hit the Update option to initiate the firmware update process.
You can also update the firmware using the Netgear site. Just follow these steps and you will be good to go.
- Visit the official Netgear portal and check if there’s a firmware update available for your router.
- If yes, then download it and save it on your device.
- Access the admin portal using your router’s IP address.
- Navigate to the advanced settings and select Administration.
- Look for the router update option and click on it.
- Click on the ‘Browse’ button and locate the downloaded firmware file.
- Once selected, click on ‘Upload’ to begin the firmware update process.
- Make sure the router remains powered on throughout the update to avoid interruptions.
Solution #3: Restart Your Router
Both your router and modem could be the reason behind connectivity issues. If your Netgear router is not working, you should consider restarting the device. Sometimes, even a simple restart can solve complex issues.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Locate the power button on your router, and switch it off.
- Wait for a few minutes before turning the router back on.
- After powering on the router, wait for the light indicators to become stable.
A successful restart should solve the problem. If not, then move on to the next solution.
Solution #4: Power Cycle Your Router
The router and modem collaborate to constantly exchange data. However, after extended periods of operation, they may encounter interferences or bugs that lead to performance issues. This can be taken care of by running a power cycle on your router.
These are the steps you need to follow:
- Start by powering off both the modem and router.
- Unplug the Ethernet/Coax cables that connect the router to the modem and the wall outlet.
- Allow both devices to rest for approximately 10 minutes.
- Reconnect the modem to the wall outlet and switch it on.
- Give the modem sufficient time to initialize, and wait until the lights indicate stable operation.
- Now, connect the router to the wall outlet.
- Use an Ethernet cable to establish a connection between the modem and the router.
- Power on the router and wait for the lights to illuminate.
- Finally, check if your router can access the internet.
Solution #5: Factory Reset Your Router
If the above-mentioned methods fail to work, you should consider factory resetting your router. This will delete all the saved settings and return the device to the default mode.
To factory reset your router, you should follow these steps:
- First, locate the reset button on your router. It should be at the back or bottom of the device.
- Long-press the button for at least 30 seconds. You will need a pin or paper clip to press the tiny button.
- Release the button once you see the router lights flashing.
- Wait for 15 minutes for the device to factory reset.
- Once everything is done, you will have to set a new password and username.
Now check if your router is connecting to the internet. If yes, then the problem is solved.
Solution #6: Switch On Your Router’s Wireless Radios
If you can establish an internet connection using an Ethernet cable but not through the WiFi network, it indicates that your router is not broadcasting a strong signal.
To address this issue, try the following steps:
- Long-press the WiFi On/Off button on your router for approximately 2 seconds.
- This action should activate the LED lights on the active antenna.
- By doing so, you can re-enable the antenna and enhance the strength of the wireless signal.
Solution #7: Change The Network Name Or Password Of Your WiFi
If you are unable to access the internet through a Netgear router due to an invalid username or password, you can resolve the problem by following these instructions:
- Open a web browser on your device and navigate to the site routerlogin.net.
- Once you reach the login page, enter your password and username.
- On the home page, locate the “Wireless” section and click on it.
- Look for the “Name (SSID)” field and enter the desired network name for the wireless network.
- Locate the “Password (Network Key)” field and enter the new password that you want to set for your wireless network.
- Finally, hit the “Apply” button to save the changes.
By following these steps, you will be able to change the network name and password of your Netgear router, allowing you to access the internet successfully.
Solution #8: Get A New Router
If none of the above solutions work, it means the problem is with your router. There’s a high chance that your router is damaged or broken. In this case, the only logical thing to do is to get a new router.
Repairing your old router will not do you much good, so it’s better to replace it with a new one. For assistance, you can contact your ISP.
Solution #9: Contact Customer Support
Another thing you can do is contact Netgear’s customer support service for assistance. Tell them about the problem, so they can provide an appropriate solution to resolve the issue.
If the issue is not worth solving over the phone, then they will send a professional to your house. They will choose the best course of action to fix the problem.
Final Words on Netgear Router Not Working
So now you know why the Netgear router is not working. If you are facing a similar situation, you should apply these solutions to fix the problem. If you can’t do it on your own, seek assistance from your ISP or Netgear customer support.
FAQ on Why is My Netgear Router Not Working
Q1. Why is my Netgear router not working?
Ans: There could be several reasons for your Netgear router is not working including a faulty power connection, outdated firmware, incorrect configuration settings, or interference from other electronic devices
Q2. What should I do if my Netgear router is not turning on?
Ans: If your Netgear router is not turning on, make sure it is securely plugged into a working power outlet. Try using a different power cable or adapter to rule out any potential issues with the power source.
Q3. How can I troubleshoot a Netgear router that is not connecting to the internet?
Ans: To troubleshoot a Netgear router that is not connecting to the internet, you should consider restarting both your router and modem. Additionally, you should check if you are using the latest firmware update.
Q4. How do I know if my Netgear router is bad?
Ans: If your WiFi keeps losing connection, this could mean that your router is degrading and it’s time to replace it with a new one.
Q5. How do I check the health of my Netgear router?
Ans: To check the health of your Netgear router you should access the D7000 Diagnostic page.