If you love playing games online, you will want to connect your gaming console to Ethernet. Unlike other consoles, Nintendo Switch doesn’t have an Ethernet port. This is probably because it is designed to be a portable console, instead of a home console.
Being able to establish a wired connection for your Switch or any other gaming console can make a big difference in the speed.
Now if you are wondering how to connect Nintendo Switch to Ethernet, you will be happy to know that there are ways to make it possible. Even though a Switch doesn’t have an Ethernet port, you can still connect it to Ethernet. To know how it’s done, you should give this article a read.
Guide to Connect Nintendo Switch to Ethernet
Nintendo Switch became popular because of its portable form factor. However, if you plan to use your Switch like another home console, you might as well connect it to Ethernet and take advantage of it. Connecting your Switch to Ethernet will not only give you faster internet speeds but will also improve connection stability.
The best way to connect a Switch to Ethernet is to use a LAN adapter. For those who don’t know a LAN adapter is a small cable that is useful in converting a USB port into an Ethernet port.
For more info, check out our article on Best USB to Ethernet Adapter for PC & Laptop.
Once you get your LAN adapter, you should follow the steps below.
- Connect the LAN adapter to a USB port on the back of your Switch.
- Now take the Ethernet cable and join it to the LAN adapter.
- Take the other end of the Ethernet to your router.
- Place your Switch into the dock that it comes with. After that connect the dock to your TV.
- Power on your Switch and access the System Settings.
- On the left, you will see the Internet tab, select it and then go to Internet settings.
- This will make your Switch search for nearby Wi-Fi connections.
- Since you have connected the Ethernet cable, you will be shown a wired connection option on the screen.
- Select the option “Connect to the Internet via Wired Connection.”
- After that, the Switch will test the connection. You need to be patient, because it may take several minutes.
Why Should you Connect your Nintendo Switch to Ethernet?
You may ask yourself why you will connect your Nintendo Switch to Ethernet when you can carry it around wherever you go.
Since Nintendo Switch is a portable console, most people connect it to Wi-Fi. But this way you are missing out on a lot of fun. The switch offers thousands of games online. While playing these games, you will want to have the best experience. This is possible only when you connect your Nintendo Switch to Ethernet and not in any other case.
Using your Switch with an Ethernet connection will give you a lightning-fast internet connection. It will also enhance your experience while playing competitive games.
For a more general guide, check out our Gigabit Switch vs Fast Ethernet Switch.
No doubt, some Wi-Fi speeds are great. But if you compared the speed of a wired connection with Wi-Fi, you will realize the difference. So if you wish to stay ahead of your opponents while gaming online, you should consider connecting your switch to Ethernet.
In fact, the Nintendo Switch doesn’t have an Ethernet port, you should follow the steps mentioned above.
Q1. Why should you connect your Nintendo Switch to Ethernet?
Ans. Connecting your Switch to an Ethernet port will allow you to access the internet on your console, which means you will be able to download any games from the Nintendo Eshop. Also, it provides a faster internet connection than Wi-Fi.
Q2. Does Nintendo Switch have an Ethernet port?
Ans. Unfortunately, Nintendo Switch doesn’t have an Ethernet port. So you will have to use a LAN adapter to establish an Ethernet connection.
Q3. How to use the Switch without the internet?
Ans. You can play certain games on your Switch without an internet connection. If the game has online elements you will need to connect your Switch to the internet.
Connecting your Switch to Ethernet gives you plenty of benefits. It gives you fast internet connection speeds and a better experience. For all these reasons you should consider establishing a wired connection for your Switch.
- 7 Best PoE Switch Reviews & Buying Guide
- 7 Best 24-Port Gigabit Switch Reviews & Buying Guide
- 7 Best 8-Port Gigabit Switch Reviews & Buying Guide