Gone are the days, when almost every device came with cables. With every passing year, we are introduced to more and more wireless devices. This includes internet devices as well.
Connecting the computer to WiFi with a cable can be messy. But the good news is you can ditch the cables and connect a computer to WiFi without cable using other methods.
Well, we are here to answer that for you. There are more than one ways to connect the computer to WiFi without cable. If you want to know how you must read this guide till the end.
How to Connect a Computer to WiFi Without Cable?[4 Working Methods]
These methods are any day better than using annoying ethernet cables. They are not messy and allow you to connect your PC to the internet quickly. In this section, we will discuss four of the best methods for you to try. So without wasting time, let’s take a look at how to connect a computer to wifi without cable.
#1. Wireless Network Adapter for PC – Most Convenient Option
USB WiFi adapters are one of the best and most convenient ways to connect your computer to the internet Without Cable. It takes only a few minutes to establish the connection and that too without any hassles.
A USB WiFi adapter is a small device that needs to be connected externally to your PC. You can also configure the settings and use the internet without any issues. If you haven’t used this method before, here are the steps for you.
- First, hook your USB WiFi Network adapters to your computer and then insert the driver packages.
- You will have to install the driver packages before proceeding ahead with the steps.
- Once the download is over, run the Setup Wizard and set the name of your USB WiFi adapter.
- Along with that, you will also have to set the password. After that, you can search for the WiFi network.
- Select the available network and enter your password to connect to your router modem.
- Now save the settings and let your computer get automatically configured with the adapter from next time onwards.
- Convenient method.
- Faster & reliable connection.
- Takes only a few minutes to set up.
- Crappy antennas.
- Not suitable for everyone.
For a more in-depth Post on the adapter, check out the Best USB to Ethernet Adapter for PC & Laptop.
#2. PCI-e WiFi Adapters – Best for Connectivity
The next best method is using PCIe WiFi adapters. This option is suitable for people who want high-speed internet all the time. It works similarly to a WiFi card and will also give you similar connectivity and speed.
Compared to other types of WiFi adapters, a PCIe WiFi adapter is better. This is because it gives you a stable connection from a greater distance. It comes with two antennas that help you to establish strong connectivity.
Before you opt for a PCIe WiFi adapter, you should know that they are expensive. That’s because they have more hardware specifications. To use this device, you need to follow these steps.
- The first thing you do is switch on your computer and then access the cabinet.
- Look for an empty slot where you can install the adapter.
- Once you find a suitable spot, remove the metal plate and simply install the adapter there.
- You also have to install the networking card with the PCIe adapter and then install it with the device.
- After you are done with these steps, secure the networking card to the case.
- You also need to install the required drivers for the PCIe adapter on your computer.
- Gives a high-speed connection.
- Stable connection.
- Can cover a greater distance.
- Installation is difficult.
Note: Make sure you download them in the C drive.
#3. WiFi Enabled Motherboard – Best if you Want to Upgrade your PC
If you are looking for an easy way to connect your desktop to wifi, using a WiFi-enabled motherboard would be a great option. At the same time, it will also give your computer an upgrade. This is probably the fastest connectivity option available to you.
Most modern laptops are equipped with WiFi-enabled motherboards. But for a PC, you will have to buy it separately. A WiFi indeed enabled motherboard is very expensive, but it can be beneficial in the long run.
Using a WiFi-enabled motherboard gives you several benefits. It gives you fast internet speed and a stable connection, which are very important. Not just that, but it can also directly search the available networks for your PC. For this, you will have to re-format your computer.
When you install a WiFi-enabled motherboard, your computer will lose most of the memory. This is why you are advised to keep a backup ready to get back the data when the installation is done.
It should be informed that a WiFi-enabled motherboard consumes more RAM. This in turn can slow down the speed of your PC. Also, this type of motherboard gets heated quickly. So you will require something to keep the motherboard cool.
- Upgrades your PC.
- Stable connection.
- Good for long-term use.
- Very expensive.
- Consumes a lot of RAM.
#4. WiFi Card – Similar to PCI-e Adapters [Very Affordable]
Using a WiFi card is similar to using a PCI-e adapter. A WiFi card is a compact piece of equipment and is also very affordable. This is suitable for people who don’t have the budget to upgrade their system. You can simply get a WiFi card for your desktop and then use it to connect a computer to wifi without cable.
Before you set out to buy a WiFi card, you will have to make sure that it is supported by the motherboard of your PC. Open up the cabinet and find the slot where you have to install the WiFi card.
Installing a WiFi card is not a difficult task. If you know the steps, you can do it all by yourself. Here is what you need to do:
- First, open the cabinet and locate the PCI-e slot.
- Once you locate the slot, open the metal cover and insert the WiFi card.
- You are required to install the WiFi card in the right direction. After that tighten the slot using the screws.
- Now insert the driver CD and install the required drivers.
- Once you are done with the above steps, you need to boot your system and restart it.
- You will see the wizard when you restart your PC. This will help you to connect your desktop to the WiFi driver.
- Good for upgrading the system.
- Strong connection.
- Not easy to install.
- Poor range.
Pro Tips and Tricks on How to Connect Computer to WiFi Without Cable
If you don’t have a WiFi card or a WiFi adapter, no worries because you can still connect your PC to the internet without them. There are multiple ways to establish connectivity without adapters and WiFi cards.
#1. Use Your Smartphone as a Network Adapter
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- First, switch on your computer. You can use a charging USB cable as well.
- Now connect your smartphone using the USB cable. You will see a notification on your PC screen.
- Turn on the WiFi on your phone.
- Drag down the notification bar on your smartphone and tap on the USB notification.
- You need to select the option “USB tethering” from the given list.
- Alternatively, you can access your smartphone’s settings, and then turn on USB tethering.
- After a minute, you will see the WiFi bars symbol has changed into a desktop symbol. This means you are connected now.
#2. Use Your Laptop to Share WiFi
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Turn on your laptop and connect it to your WiFi.
- Access the control panel and click on the option network and internet.
- Next, click on the option network and sharing center.
- On the left, you will see the option ‘change adapter settings. Click on it.
- Right-click on the wireless network that is connected to your laptop.
- You will be shown the WiFi properties. Hit the sharing tab.
- Now tick the box that says ‘allow other network users to connect through the computer’s internet connection.
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect your laptop and PC.
- Once your computer recognizes the connection, you will be ready to surf the internet.
#3. Ethernet Connection Between a Router and PC
If you don’t have any WiFi hardware available for your computer, you can still connect to the internet using a router.
You need to use the router as a repeater which will allow you to connect your wireless device to your computer through an Ethernet cable.
If you don’t have a router, you can buy a WiFi adapter.
If you want a more in-depth explanation about the Wireless router, check out Best Wireless Routers Under $100.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Can You Connect an Old Computer to WiFi?
Ans. Connecting an old computer to WiFi can be a bit tricky. You will have to first determine the Windows version you have. If you have a Windows version XP or above, you can try the methods listed above.
But the connection will be too slow. It would be better to buy a USB adapter. If not, you can also install a PCI express card on your PC.
So there are multiple ways to connect your computer to WiFi without relying on annoying cables. You can try any of the above-mentioned methods to establish connectivity. Now that you know the methods, it should be easier for you to get them done.
Q2. Can You Use Ethernet and WiFi at the Same Time?
Ans. Yes, you can use both options at the same time on the same network. But you will need a separate LAN port for this.
Q3. Are PCI-e Adapters Good?
Ans. PCI-E Wi-Fi adapters are more powerful than USB Wi-Fi adapters. That’s because a PCI-E card connects directly to the motherboard of your PC. This gives you faster connectivity as there is nothing between the motherboard and the PCI-E adapter.
Q4. What does a Wi-Fi card do?
Ans. A Wi-Fi card connects to your laptop either in a card slot or in your USB port. It receives the wireless signal and communicates with the wireless network and thus, enables you to access the internet with your laptop.
Q5. Are external Wi-Fi adapters better than internal ones?
Ans. An external antenna is generally better. However, an internal antenna on a USB adapter may serve you well, especially if you are using a high-quality one.
So, there are multiple ways to connect the computer to Wifi without cables. You can try any of the above-mentioned methods to establish connectivity. Now that you know the methods, it should be easier for you to get them done.
- How Far Can You Run an Ethernet Cable Be?
- Are Longer Ethernet Cables Slower? Does Ethernet Cable Matter?
- Difference Between Switch and Router | Switch Vs. Router
- Best 7 Ethernet Cable Extenders to Buy
- What is a Network Switch? – Know the Function, Uses & Types of Network Switch
Hi, I am James Burns a skilled and experienced network engineer with a passion for optimizing digital connectivity. With a wealth of expertise in designing and managing intricate network infrastructures, I excel in enhancing performance and security. I hold a distinguished record of delivering top-notch results in various Network courses, including the Juniper Networks Certified Associate (JNCIA) certification, demonstrating my commitment to continuous learning and professional growth. My dedication to staying at the forefront of emerging technologies makes me an invaluable asset in ensuring seamless and reliable network operations. Whether troubleshooting complex issues or implementing innovative solutions, I am dedicated to creating robust and efficient network environments for businesses and individuals alike.