All Apple TV devices come with a small remote control that is used for operating the device. To stream online content using Apple TV, it needs to be connected to the internet. This is where you will need the remote control.
The problem arises when you no longer have access to your Apple TV’s remote control. If you have misplaced the remote, you will have to look for an alternate way to connect Apple TV to wifi.
While you use an Ethernet cable to establish a connection, we don’t recommend that method. There are other easy ways to connect Apple TV to wifi.
In this article, we will share how to connect Apple TV to WiFi with and without a remote.
|1||2021 Apple TV 4K with 64GB Storage (2nd Generation)||$199.00 $144.95||Check Price on Amazon|
|2||Apple 2021 TV HD (32GB, 2nd Generation)||$149.00 $79.99||Check Price on Amazon|
|3||2017 Apple TV 4K 64GB - Black (1st generation) (Renewed)||$154.97||Check Price on Amazon|
|4||Apple TV 4K HD 32GB Streaming Media Player HDMI with Dolby Digital and Voice search by Asking the...||$144.09||Check Price on Amazon|
About Apple TV
Even though it is called Apple TV, it is not a TV. Instead, it is a media device that allows you to watch content on various streaming platforms on your TV. It is compatible with all the major streaming services such as Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, Prime Video, Disney+, etc.
Apple TV is a compact device that can be connected to a television set using a HDMI cable. If needed, it can also be connected to the internet using both wireless and wired methods. It comes with a remote that uses IR communication or Bluetooth.
How to Connect Apple TV To WiFi
The steps to connect your Apple TV to WiFi will vary depending on the device you own. Go through the given guide to see what you need to do.
Apple TV 4k and Apple TV HD
If you are using any of these Apple TV models, you should follow these steps to connect it to WiFi.
- Start by launching the Settings app. It is easy to identify the Settings app because of the gear icon.
- Now scroll down and locate the Network option.
- Within the Network section, click on the option Connection.
- This will prompt the Apple TV to scan the nearby wireless networks.
- Choose your network from the list.
- You will be asked to provide your password for authentication. Make sure to enter the correct password.
- After you are done with the above steps, you will see your network being listed as the top network.
- In the Network section, your wireless network will appear below the Connection option.
This is how you can link Apple TV 4k and Apple TV HD to a wireless network.
Apple TV 3rd Or 2nd Generation
For Apple TV 3rd or 2nd generation, you need to follow these instructions.
- Go to the Settings Page.
- Choose the General option.
- Locate the Network option by scrolling down and clicking on it.
- Your Apple TV will start scanning the nearby wireless networks.
- Now select your network once it appears in the list.
- Provide the network password.
- Your network will be listed as the top network.
The steps are quite simple to follow. Just do as told and you will be good to go.
How To Connect Apple TV To WiFi Without Remote
As an Apple TV owner, you are familiar with the remote control that comes with the device. It allows you to control the functions of your Apple TV. You can also use the remote to connect your Apple TV to a wireless network. Additionally, it has integrated Siri which lets you control the remote using voice commands. In short, the Apple TV remote makes it easier to operate and control the device.
Now the question is what would you do if you lost the remote or it stopped working? Will you be able to connect Apple TV to the internet without the remote? Yes, you can!
There are a couple of ways to go about it and we will cover all of them in the section below.
Method 1: Make Use Of A Bluetooth Keyboard
If you own a Bluetooth keyboard, you can utilize it to establish a connection between your Apple TV and the Wi-Fi. Here’s what you need to do:
- First, switch on your Apple TV and the Bluetooth keyboard. Activate the pairing mode on the keyboard.
- Open the Apple TV Remote App on your iPhone. Now access the Settings section and then to Remotes and Devices. From there go to Bluetooth on your Apple TV and turn it on.
- It will start scanning for devices. Make sure to keep the keyboard close to your Apple TV.
- Once the Bluetooth Keyboard appears in the list, select it.
- A code will appear on the screen. You need to enter this code on your keyboard.
- After both devices are paired successfully, proceed to connect your Apple TV to a wireless network using the return and arrow keys on the keyboard.
Even a Mac keyboard can be used in place of a Bluetooth keyboard. For this, you will need the Typeeto app.
Method 2: Make Use Of Your TV’s Remote Control
If you are not comfortable using a Bluetooth Keyboard, no problem. You can make use of your TV’s remote control to connect your Apple TV with Wi-Fi. Here are the steps you to follow.
- First, connect an Ethernet cable to your Apple TV and power it on.
- Check if both Apple TV and iPhone are connected to the same network.
- Access the Apple TV Remote app on your iPhone.
- Access the Settings section and click on General.
- Now select Remotes to access the Remote sub-menu.
- In the Other Remotes section, you will see the option Learn Remote. Click on it.
- Hit the Start button.
- This will cause the Apple TV to detect the remote control and show different control keys.
- Turn the TV remote in the direction of the Apple TV and long –long-press the button and wait for the progress bar to load.
- You need to repeat the same for all the keys – down, up, right, left, and menu.
- Once you are done with the above steps, name the new remote control.
- Remove the Ethernet cable and link the Apple TV to the wireless network using the new remote control. To make this happen, head to Settings. Select General and then Network. Now follow the instructions shown on the screen.
That’s all you need to do to connect your Apple TV to WiFi using a TV’s remote control. This method may feel a bit lengthy, but it is easy to follow.
Method 3: With iPhone or iPad
This is another method to connect Apple TV to WiFi. For this, you will need an iPhone or iPad. For iPhone, you will need an iOS 12 version or later. For iPad, you need iPadOS 13 or later.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Access your iPhone’s control center and locate your Apple TV Remote Control.
- In case, you can’t locate the Apple TV Remote icon, you can add it from the Settings section.
- You will see the Apple TV Remote appear in the Customise Control section.
- Click on the + icon to add Apple TV Remote to the Control Center.
- Swipe up to access the control center on the Remote icon. This will launch the Apple TV Remote app.
- Apple TV Remote app has a simple interface. As you log into the app, you will see a large touch area that can be used as a trackpad.
- Switch on your Apple TV and use an Ethernet cable to connect it to the internet.
- Use your iPhone’s Apple TV Remote app to access Settings on your Apple TV.
- On the Settings page, select Network, and then WiFi.
- Choose your wireless network and input the password.
- This will connect your Apple TV to WiFi.
These are the methods you can try to connect your Apple TV to WiFi if you don’t have the remote control anymore. Follow the steps correctly to avoid any confusion.
Troubleshooting Tips For Apple TV Not Connecting To WiFi
Sometimes the Apple TV fails to connect to WiFi due to technical or other issues. If you are facing a similar problem, you can try these troubleshooting tips to solve it.
- Make sure that Apple TV and WiFi router are placed close to each other.
- Check if you have turned on the WiFi network.
- Install the latest firmware updates on your Apple TV.
- Try using an Ethernet cable to connect Apple TV to the internet.
- Restart your Apple TV as well as the router.
- If no other method works, you should consider resetting your Apple TV.
Final Words on How to Connect Apple TV to WiFi
Connecting Apple TV to Wi-Fi is an easy process. Once the device has internet access, you can use it to stream your favorite content and have a good time. Just follow the steps explained in this post and you are done. It takes only a couple of minutes to establish a connection.
FAQs on How to Connect Apple TV to WiFi
Q1. Can I connect an Apple TV to WiFi without a remote?
Ans: There are various ways to connect an Apple TV to WiFi without a remote. You can use a Bluetooth keyboard, iPhone/iPad, or TV’s remote control.
Q2. Why can’t I connect my Apple TV to WiFi?
Ans: It can happen if the operating system of your Apple TV is outdated.
Q3. Can I use my Mac’s keyboard to connect Apple TV to WiFi?
Ans: To use your Mac’s keyboard to connect your Apple TV to WiFi, you will need the Typeeto app.
Q4. How to connect Apple TV to the same network?
Ans: Access Settings – Network – Connection and select the network you want to connect your Apple TV to.
Q5. Is it possible to use Apple TV without an internet connection?
Ans: Without the internet, you can switch on Apple TV, but cannot use it to stream content.
Hi, I am James Burns a skilled and experienced network engineer with a passion for optimizing digital connectivity. With a wealth of expertise in designing and managing intricate network infrastructures, I excel in enhancing performance and security. I hold a distinguished record of delivering top-notch results in various Network courses, including the Juniper Networks Certified Associate (JNCIA) certification, demonstrating my commitment to continuous learning and professional growth. My dedication to staying at the forefront of emerging technologies makes me an invaluable asset in ensuring seamless and reliable network operations. Whether troubleshooting complex issues or implementing innovative solutions, I am dedicated to creating robust and efficient network environments for businesses and individuals alike.