A wired network connection is supposed to be easy to use. However, that is not always the case. Sometimes, there are connectivity issues due to which you lose internet access. But this type of issue is very common and experienced by almost everyone with Ethernet connectivity.
If your Ethernet is connected and still has no internet access, you know there’s a problem. But there’s nothing to worry about as it can be fixed easily.
In this post, we are going to explain some of the easy methods to solve this “ethernet connected but no Internet“. If you can relate to this issue, you should give this article a read.
What are the Possible Reasons for Ethernet Connection Not Working?
Before moving on to the solution part, you must know the possible causes of this problem. This will help you to apply the right solution and fix it on the first attempt.
This type of issue can occur due to various reasons. Some of the most common reasons include:
- You may have connected your Ethernet cable to the wrong network. You can solve this by turning off your Wi-Fi and connecting it again.
- If the settings on your device are misconfigured, you will lose access to the internet. Just change your device settings and it should be fine again.
- Faulty or outdated network drivers can also lead to this problem. To solve this issue, you will need to update your drivers.
- It can also happen due to interference from your device’s firewall and security software. For this, you will need to uninstall the antivirus software and disable the firewall, and other related programs.
- You can have connectivity issues due to incorrect DNS servers or IP addresses. This can be fixed by changing your IP address if it is necessary.
Ethernet Connected But No Internet: 6 Ways To Easily Fix It
If you are currently experiencing issues with your Ethernet connection, you should try the following solutions to fix it. Make sure you follow the steps correctly for the solution to be effective.
Solution 1: Restart your Router/Modem & Computer
Sometimes just restarting your devices can solve the no internet access issue. This is the easiest way to fix this problem.
- First of all turn off your computer.
- Next, turn off your router/modem and also cut off the power supply.
- Wait for 2 minutes before switching on your devices.
- Now reconnect your devices one by one and turn the power back on.
- Check whether you can access the internet or not.
This should solve your connectivity issue. In case, the problem is still there, follow the other solutions provided.
Solution 2: Reset your Network Settings
If there’s a problem with your network settings, you may experience this type of issue. But you can take care of this problem by following the steps below:
Note: This solution is only for Windows users.
- Press Win + R simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Now enter “cmd” in the given box and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter at the same time.
- Enter these commands as shown:
ipconfig / flushdns
ipconfig / renew
ipconfig / registerdns
- Once you are done, close the window and proceed to restart your device.
- Now check your internet connection.
Solution 3: Check your DNS Settings
You might lose your internet access due to issues in the DNS settings. To solve this problem, you will need to follow these steps.
- Press Win + R simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Enter “ncpa.cpl” in the box and hit the Enter key.
- Right-click on your network connection and select Properties.
- Now double-click the option Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4).
- Make sure both Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically and Obtain An IP Address Automatically are selected. After that click OK.
- Check whether your internet connection is fixed. If the problem is still there, follow the next step.
- Select the option Use the following DNS server addresses.
- Now change your server address to Google public DNS server addresses (184.108.40.206/220.127.116.11)
- After that click OK.
Now your internet issue is solved. To confirm, check whether you can access the internet or not.
Solution 4: Use a VPN
If none of the above solutions is working, you should try this method. This is an effective solution that can fix the problem. But you will need some time to get the hang of using a VPN unless you are a techie.
Before we discuss the steps, you will need to get a VPN service. Make sure that you get a reliable and efficient VPN service. Look for a paid VPN, instead of a free one.
Once you download and install your VPN, sign in to your account. Now connect to the VPN server that is recommended for your device.
Solution 5: Disable your Device’s Security Software
If none of your devices has internet access, chances are that the problem is caused by your device’s antivirus software. For instance, Avast Antivirus prevents users from accessing the internet. It happens because of a glitch in the software.
If you are unable to access the internet due to the interference of your antivirus software, you will need to disable it. Aside from that, you should also run a malware scan to detect the presence of any malicious app that might be tampering with your internet connection.
Solution 6: Update Your Drivers
Internet connectivity issues can also arise due to outdated or faulty drivers. If that is the case, then you will need to update your drivers. You can either do it automatically or manually, whichever is easier for you.
To get the latest driver updates, visit the official website of the device manufacturer and check if there are any new updates available. If yes, download them. After you are done, check if you can connect to the internet.
Losing internet access can be an annoying problem. But fortunately, this problem can be solved with a few easy solutions. Try out these methods and you should be able to fix your ethernet connection but no internet problem.