If you own Google Home speakers, you know that it requires the internet to function. Not just that, but you also need to set up the speaker with the internet. While trying to set up your Google Home Mini, you may encounter problems such as “Couldn’t communicate with your Google Home Mini.”
First of all, you don’t need to worry as it is a very common problem. You should know that you are not the only one experiencing this issue. It is a common Google Home Mini error that can be fixed with some easy solutions. We will be discussing the solutions in detail in this post.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Does It Say “Could Not Communicate With Google Home Mini”?
- 2 Why am I Getting This Error Message “Could Not Communicate With Your Google Home Mini”?
- 3 How to Fix the “Could Not Communicate with Google Home” Error
- 3.1 Solution 1: Restart Your Device
- 3.2 Solution 2: Check Minimum Software Requirements
- 3.3 Solution 3: Use Only the Original Accessories
- 3.4 Solution 4: Always Stay Within the WiFi Range
- 3.5 Solution 5: Update your Google Home Mini App
- 3.6 Solution 6: Re-install the Google Home Mini App
- 3.7 Solution 7: Turn on Airplane Mode on Your Device
- 3.8 Solution 8: Turn on Bluetooth on Your Device
- 3.9 Solution 9: Forget the Wi-Fi Network
- 3.10 Solution 10: Check the Linked Account
- 3.11 Solution 11: Setup using Another Device
- 3.12 Solution 12: Try resetting Google Home device
- 3.13 Solution 13: Check the Number of Devices Connected to Your Wi-Fi
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
- 5 Conclusion
Why Does It Say “Could Not Communicate With Google Home Mini”?
The “Could not communicate with your Google Home Mini” error can occur due to a variety of reasons or factors. One of the common reasons is minor glitches in your Wi-Fi network. It could also occur due to incorrect router settings enabled on your smartphone device.
Before you start fixing the problem, you need to figure out what’s causing it. By identifying the culprit, you can use the right approach to solve the problem. Not just that, but it can also help you prevent the issue from arising again.
Google Home Alternatives
Last update on 2022-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Why am I Getting This Error Message “Could Not Communicate With Your Google Home Mini”?
The main question is why are you getting the “couldn’t communicate with your Google Home Mini” error message? In this section, we will discuss the causes in detail, so it’s easier for you to find a solution.
Whenever there is a communication bug or error, it could result in such error messages. Sometimes it’s the result of a single factor and sometimes it is caused by a combination of factors.
The factors that could lead to this error message are:
- Google Home WiFi network and router issues
- Google Home app not updated
- Bluetooth problems
- Outdated apps and operating systems
- Hardware problems
- Wrong router settings
- Trouble broadcasting a strong WiFi signal
- The conflict caused by other smart devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network
To be able to apply the right solution, you need to first figure out which one of these factors is causing the issue. Unfortunately, the error message doesn’t indicate the problem that’s causing it. So you will have to figure it out on your own.
The good news is this error is nothing significant. So you don’t need to panic when you see this error text. If you know the right approach, you can fix it yourself without seeking professional assistance.
How to Fix the “Could Not Communicate with Google Home” Error
There is not one but multiple ways to fix this problem. In this section, we are going to provide you with some of the tried and tested methods. All you need to do is follow the steps correctly and one of these solutions should be able to solve the problem. So without wasting any more time, let’s get into the details.
Solution 1: Restart Your Device
Sometimes just restarting the device can solve the problem. So before you try any other method, you should simply restart your device and see if the problem is solved. This is possibly the easiest and fastest way to handle this issue.
- To restart your Google Home Mini and WiFi router you need to first unplug both the devices.
- Wait for about 20 seconds before plugging the devices back in.
- Once your device restarts, wait for some time and then check if the problem persists. If yes, then you can try the other methods mentioned in the post.
Solution 2: Check Minimum Software Requirements
For Google Home Mini to work properly you need to ensure that the device you are using meets the minimum software requirements.
Here are the requirements you need to fulfill when installing a Google Home Mini device:
- For Android phones, the operating system should be Android 5.0 or higher.
- For Android tablets, the operating system should be Android 6.0 or higher.
- For iPhone or iPad, the device should have iOS 11 or higher.
If these requirements are not met, error messages such as “couldn’t communicate with your Google Home Mini” start popping up. So make sure that the error is not occurring due to software compatibility issues.
Solution 3: Use Only the Original Accessories
Many users tend to use their accessories with their Google Home Mini without realizing that it could lead to problems. If you are using different accessories, it could be the reason why you are seeing the error message. That’s because other accessories may not be compatible with your device. This could result in an error message when you try to set it up.
This is why you should use only the accessories that are provided with your Google Home Mini. Always use the cable and power adapter that comes with the device.
Solution 4: Always Stay Within the WiFi Range
If you have tried all the methods mentioned above and the problem is still there, then it could be because you are outside the Wi-Fi range.
Every WiFi router covers a specified range of areas. When you move out of the specified zone, the WiFi signal drops. This is why you should always be within your Wi-Fi coverage. If you want to extend your Wi-Fi coverage, then you can use a wireless range extender.
Regardless of what you do just make sure that your Wi-Fi is in the same location as your Google Home mini. It shouldn’t be too far away.
Solution 5: Update your Google Home Mini App
If your Google Home Mini app is outdated, it could lead to this type of errors. Find out whether your Google Home Mini app has the latest update on iOS and Android. That’s because all Google smart speakers including Google Home Mini, etc. require the updated Google Home app to work smoothly.
If the Google Home Mini app is not updated, get the latest version. If the error is occurring due to the outdated app, then it should solve the problem as soon as you get the latest version.
Solution 6: Re-install the Google Home Mini App
Another solution could be reinstalling the Google Home Mini app. What we mean is to uninstall the app, restart your phone, and then reinstall it again.
There are times when Google Home Mini becomes unresponsive or ceases to function. This could happen due to incorrect settings in the app. But reinstalling the app should handle this problem. You can apply this same method if you find any issue with the Google Home Mini app.
Solution 7: Turn on Airplane Mode on Your Device
You must be wondering how turning on the Airplane Mode can solve the “couldn’t communicate with your Google Home Mini” error. Well, switching on to airplane mode helps to fix connectivity issues in some cases. Once you turn on the airplane mode, all connectivity on your phone is cut off.
While the airplane mode is on, go to Settings and enable your Wi-Fi manually. Once you do that it will automatically turn off the Airplane mode on your device.
After that open the Google Home app and initiate the setup process.
Note: In case switching on your Wi-Fi doesn’t enable the connectivity services on your phone, then you should turn off the Airplane mode manually.
Solution 8: Turn on Bluetooth on Your Device
If other solutions have failed to work, you can try to fix the problem by using the Bluetooth function. For this, you need to first reboot your Google Home device This can be done by unplugging the device for about 15 to 20 seconds and then plugging it back in.
Once your device is reset, you can switch on Bluetooth on your device. After that go to your Google Home app and select the option “Setup with Bluetooth” and start the process.
Solution 9: Forget the Wi-Fi Network
Another effective method to fix this error is by Forgetting the Wi-Fi Network on your Google Home app. By doing so, you can easily reset the connection. To help you out, we have laid down the steps below.
- The first thing you need to do is open your Google Home app.
- Once you have the app open, select your Google Home device.
- You will be taken to the device page where you need to tap on the Settings icon located on the top-left corner of the page.
- Now scroll down the page and locate the “Wi-Fi” option.
- Select the option “Forget” that is right next to the Wi-Fi connection name.
- Once you perform all the steps correctly, your will make your device forget the Wi-Fi network.
Solution 10: Check the Linked Account
Many users tend to have multiple Google accounts. If you too belong to the same group make sure that you are using the correct account on your Google Home device and app.
If you encounter the error message “could not communicate with your Google Home Mini” after completing the configuration, check the account you used while setting up the device. You need to verify whether you are using the same account or not.
To verify the associated account you can follow these steps:
- At first, open the Google Home app on your phone.
- Go to your profile picture located in the top left corner of the page and tap on it.
- The first account listed on this page is the one that is linked with your Google Home app.
Solution 11: Setup using Another Device
Sometimes the “couldn’t communicate” error occurs because of the device you are using to set up your Google Home. If that is the case, then you should try completing the setup process with another device.
You can use a different smartphone or tablet that is available with you. If the setup is successful, then you know that the device you were using before is at fault.
Solution 12: Try resetting Google Home device
One of the best ways to handle this problem is by resetting your Google Home device. You should keep this method for the last. If no other method works, you can try this one.
You can reset your Google Home device by following these steps:
- Locate the small button on your device and long press it for at least 15 seconds.
- This will activate your Google Assistant which will let you know that your device is being reset.
- Once you reset the device, you can go ahead with the setup process.
Solution 13: Check the Number of Devices Connected to Your Wi-Fi
One of the main reasons for the error to occur might be your modem. If it has a limit for the number of devices to be connected simultaneously, you should try disconnecting a few of them.
Once you disconnect some devices, try to connect to your Google Home Mini. This should solve the problem.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
Q1. What is Google Home Mini used for?
A1. The Google Home Mini is a voice-controlled speaker that is used for a variety of purposes. You can use it to play music, add things to a shopping list, control smart home gadgets, create calendar appointments, or even play videos on a Chromecast-enabled screen. It could be the perfect addition to any smart home.
Q2. Can you use Google Home Mini without the internet?
A2. You can use Google Home Mini without the internet or Wi-Fi, but it limits its functionality severely. Without an internet connection, you can only use it as a Bluetooth speaker, assuming it has already been set up using an internet connection.
Q3. Does Google Home Mini have Bluetooth?
A3. Yes, Google Home Mini has a Bluetooth function. You can use this feature to connect your Mini to other Bluetooth speakers for a better audio experience.
Google Home Mini is a great gadget to have at home. It can do plenty of amazing things and also give you a great audio experience. If you ever encounter the “couldn’t communicate with your Google Home Mini” error, just follow the methods mentioned in this post. You will surely find a solution that will work for you.